Monday, November 2, 2009

I’m back on the map! Amazing what a good nap will do (and a good reality check from Scripture!)
Today was one of the days that makes me love homeschooling. Daddy took off work last night, and so was up early today and hung out with the kids. The girls got their work done early and without a lot of coaxing, and then they went out to the playhouse and set up a candy store (they called it Candyland) and sold their Halloween candy to Daddy :) This afternoon (while I napped) they played football outside with Dad and big brother, and raked beautiful fall leaves and rolled in them. Then they played on the trampoline until after dark (courtesy of the time change) and came in and we all watched “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?” where they learned that “K” is the periodic chart symbol for potassium, and Arizona was the 48th state admitted to the union. Days don’t get any better than this.
I’m learning to let days like this happen when they can. Sure, we had to push our science vocabulary off until tomorrow. And that spelling quiz isn’t going to happen. But it is the days like this that cannot be put on a syllabus or in a lesson planner, and are the ones that often make the greatest and longest-lasting impact.
The girls are asleep all over my room right now, where they nodded off during a Little House book, tired out from playing in the beautiful fall day. One son just went to bed after watching the Saints and the Falcons until halftime. And my other son passed out early after a nice bath. Dad is back at work, I am sure paying for not having slept today. But I am also sure he would not trade this day for anything. And neither would I.

No comments: